Friday, October 12, 2007

Happy Birthday Broderick! (Almost!)






Brody,

This weekend you will turn 1 year old. I’m starting this letter now because I know the next few days will be very busy for us. We have your 1 year pictures, your birthday party, and a fun day picking pumpkins and going on wagon rides planned. I am hoping that you will enjoy all of it as much as I will enjoy sharing it with you.

Words cannot express how happy you have made me past year. Though I wouldn't have believed I could ever love you more than I did the first moment I saw you, my love for you grows exponentially every single day. I could list the things that you do now… like trying so hard to walk (you can take about 5-6 steps before falling), or how you have grown, (I don’t know exactly how tall you are or how much you weigh, but I am guessing about 31” and about 24 ½ pounds), but those aren’t the memories that I cherish from this past year.

When you are big and grown, I want to look back at this year and I want to remember your smile and your hugs. I want to remember how when you are very tired or hurt, you reach for me and lay your head on my shoulder. I want to remember how you like to kiss/bite my toes, how often you do it, and the lengths you will go to if my feet aren’t readily available. I want to remember how everyone not only stops to tell me how cute you are, but also what a good baby you are. I want to remember how you laugh when I try to get you to say “mommy” or when I tell you no (because next year, I won’t think it’s cute anymore!) I want to remember how you love to be outside and how watching the bunnies makes everything better. I want to remember how curious you are, and how you will spend hours exploring somewhere new without caring how many toys are laying around being ignored. I want to remember how much you love emptying the Tupperware cabinet and the dish towel drawer, and how proud of yourself you are when you are done. I want to remember your look of complete bliss when I caught you playing in the toilet- and how you love to chase the kitty (who doesn’t love that game NEARLY as much as you do.) You are just so cute when you know you are doing something you shouldn't! I want to remember how when you stand on your own, you wave with both hands like your little Spiderman toy. All in all, it’s these things (and so many more that I don't have the space to mention) that make you the little boy that I am so proud to call my son. It’s these things that make me look forward to each and every day that I am blessed enough to be woken up by your cries, or even better, your babble.

The next year will be filled with so much fun, and so much learning and changing, and I am sure that I will love the next year just as much as I have loved this one. I just can’t wait to see what you do next.

I love you,
Mommy

No comments: